Swimmers gain experience in duel meets

The girls swim team is expecting state qualifiers for this season. Senior Natalie Nelson pumps up the team during their meet against Elgin.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

After the girls swim team competed in a dual meet against Elgin on Thursday, the team is preparing for their home invitational on Friday and Saturday.

“Every time we have a swim meet, especially a dual meet we get in a little workout ahead of time and we will also practice our racing skills. We had some really good swims in the sense that we implemented some of our strategies to win that races,” head coach Nick Parry said.

The girls are focusing a lot on their techniques which Parry finds important in order to continue to get faster.

“We can always get better speed wise, but there are a lot of minor technical things we can always improve on individually. I talk to each swimmer individually after their event. There is always room for improvement technique wise,” Parry said.

Dual meets prepare the team for much larger meets.

“I swam the 100 fly and I also swam the 200 medley relay and swam butterfly in that (at the meet against Elgin). I didn’t get any personal bests but I did win all of my heats,” senior Theresa Carriveau said.

For the past nine years that Parry has coached, the team has had state qualifiers.

“We had Natalie Nelson who qualified for four events last year. She is back as a senior this year as well as a couple freshman that should be able to contribute to state,” Parry said.

The invitational begins at 5 p.m on Friday.

“The meet is formatted like a state meet where there are prelims on Friday and finals on Saturday,” Parry said.