Fundraiser led by students helps family through tough time

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

What started out as a small idea through a group message has reached and touched the hearts of the Calzada family.

After junior Rosi Calzada passed away from cancer, students sold pink and white ribbons to fundraise for the Calzada family from March 8-15.

The fundraiser helped to raise $40, which will be used to help pay the expenses for Rosi’s funeral. The funds are being combined with money the Calzada’s received from the memorial service.

“It was me and a group of my friends who came up with the idea. The whole idea came from a Facebook group messaging app. I thought we should do something for the family by selling ribbons and giving the money back to the family,” junior Amber Brown said.

Brown is close with the Calzada family.

Junior Yani Calzada, Rosi’s sister, was happy about the fundraiser.

“Given people do not know me that well, they are supporting us by buying the ribbons. So, I feel happy about it,” Yani Calzada said.

Yani Calzada appreciates how students are expressing concern for her while she mourns her sister.

“Every Wednesday I would go to my friend’s church with her to say I have been there for her. People have been texting me and calling me to make sure I am ok after Rosi passed away,”  Yani Calzada said.

According to Brown, purchasing the ribbons or donating makes a huge difference for the family.

“The fundraiser is important because she was such an inspirational person and she had cancer and made it seem like she didn’t. Me and my friends were really close to the family so I felt like we had to show some support for the family,” Brown said.