Season’s efforts show in state meet success

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

After competing at the state level at New Trier High School, the girls WeGo-Batavia swim team earned 27th place.

State qualifiers included junior Natalie Nelson, senior Lindsey Bruce, sophomore Ula Konopko, along with freshman Raquel Cox and junior Myanna Cook from Batavia.

“The girls swam very well at the state meet.  We were able to have some swimmers come back for the finals and score a few points for the team,” head coach Nick Parry said.

The team earned 12 points on Nov. 20 and 21. First place in state went to Rosary High School earning 192 points.

Konopko, Bruce, Cook and Nelson swam in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 2:12 minutes.

Cox, Bruce, Cook and Nelson swam in the 400 yard freestyle with a time of 3:35 minutes.

Nelson finished in 20th place with a time of 24.15 seconds in the 50 freestyle and 18th place in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.43 seconds.

“It is such a great loud feeling when competing,” Nelson said.

Bruce finished 27th in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:35 minutes. Cook finished in 10th place in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:52 minutes and sixth place in the 100 butterfly with a time of 26.08 seconds and made it to the finals.

“Individually, I was not super happy with how I did. I was happy in the sense they were good times and coach Parry was happy but I wanted to be placed higher,” Nelson said.

While some girls did not perform as well as they would have liked, they did manage to compete well.

“Illinois is one of the fastest states in the country when it comes to high school swimming. The girls had to overcome a lot of other very talented swimmers to be successful,” Parry said.