Comedians offer time to help school program

Comedian+Pat+McGann+along+with+four+other+professional+comedians+performed+on+Nov.+5+to+support+WeGo+Drama.+

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Comedian Pat McGann along with four other professional comedians performed on Nov. 5 to support WeGo Drama.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Funny For Fringe takes the stage as WeGo Drama serves up some laughs on Thursday.

Five comedians are scheduled to perform including Mike Toomey, Pat McGann, Patti Vasquez, Jim Flannigan and Eddie Brill.

Toomey is from WGN-TV Morning News and McGann is from the “Letterman” show and hosts the “Chicago Stand-up Project” for WTTW-TV.

In addition, Vasquez is a nightly host on WGN radio and guest stars on “My Life is a Joke” on the Oprah Winfrey Network and appears on “The Very Funny Show” on TBS.

Flannigan appears on Comedy Central and NBC’s “Last Comic Standing.” Brill is a former warm up comedian and comedy talent booker for “Letterman.”

“One of the parents of (WeGo Drama sophomore) Ricky Gieser works with Zanies and has asked these people to come to our school to donate their time and energy to help us with this event,” WeGo Drama director Mark Begovich said.

Students in WeGo Drama are also using the funds from Funny For Fringe to help pay for their expenses to the American High School Theatre Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland in summer.

“It is an awesome opportunity to bring these comedians here for an amazing evening and see their talents. We have a lot of funny students here and it is only good to see some of the professionals. Also, it is a fundraiser to help our drama students and the ones who are not in the program traveling in the summer,” Begovich said.

According to Begovich, this is the first time WeGo Drama is doing a comedy night with professionals.

“This is an amazing opportunity the students learn a great deal but also have a blast. They get to meet and interact with comedians and are running the technical aspects of the show,” Begovich said.

Tickets are $20 online at wegotheatre.com.