Theatre program awarded by performing on a global stage

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Fundraisers for the WeGo Drama trip to Scotland in August includes craft sales. Drama director Mark Begovich (right) runs a table during the craft sale on Oct. 4.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

A global stage is waiting for WeGo Drama in Edinburgh, Scotland in summer at the American High School Theatre Festival.

“The mission (of AHSTF) is to promote artists from high school on a global stage. The AHSTF has been around for over 20 years and what they have done is create a program where schools and students are recognized on an international stage,” WeGo Drama director Mark Begovich said.

Putting on a show and taking courses in theater are the main components of this experience.

With nearly 3,000 productions, 40,000 performances and thousands of performers from across the globe, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the largest performance arts festival in the world, according to Begovich.

WeGo Drama went through an extensive application process in order to attend the AHSTF.

“First and foremost, the schools must be nominated and recognized for their work. There is an application nomination process that is reviewed by college and professionals in the theater industry and those schools are then picked to represent the world’s largest performing arts festival,” Begovich said.

Many students are fundraising to attend. WeGo Drama hosted a home and craft fair on Oct. 4.

Some students used the home and craft fair as a general fundraiser for Wego Drama while other students used the fundraiser directly towards AHSTF.

“This is not a field trip. This was an award we received and this is the chance to do a major performance and there are expenses involved so, we are doing quite a bit of fundraising. We are doing donation letters and special events,” Begovich said.

Funny For Fringe Night is an event that will take place on Thursday to help pay for the AHSTF.

“We are bringing in comedians who have been featured in shows like “Letterman” and have been on stages. We have all these comedians coming in and doing an evening of comedy for everyone which will be a huge event,” Begovich said.

WeGo Drama president senior RJ Bradley is attending the AHSTF.

“I hope that we do well. It is an amazing experience. I want everyone to enjoy themselves and art that there is to offer. There are so many performances that will be going on,” Bradley said.