Padlocks make start of year simpler

Students+returned+this+school+year+to+personal+locks.+

Photo by Nayeli Lara

Students returned this school year to personal locks.

By Nayeli Lara, Online Production Editor

The new locks on regular and gym lockers this year are another measure to improve the school.

Dean’s assistant, Vito Orona, sees the new padlocks as a huge improvement. The locks built into the lockers were old and the repairs were often overwhelming at the beginning of the year.

“We rarely have kids come in now with locker issues, before I would have a giant stack of locker repair sheets in the first week,” Orona said, who has worked at the school for several years repairing locks and lockers. “I’d say we have about 75 percent of those issues now.”

All locks used by students need to be the ones provided to them by the school. If lost or broken, locks can be purchased at the school store.

Another benefit, according to Orona, is keeping the same combination for each year. As long as students do not lose or break their locks, they will not need to get another and remember a new combination.

As well as using the same lock for a student’s high school career, students may expect to remain at the same locker.

“This is a possible step towards kids keeping their locker for four years,” Orona said. .

The decision to change to a system where students keep their locker will most likely not happen soon because, according to Orona, the topic is still under discussion.