Lights, camera, action all in 24 hours

Freshman+Ryan+Castiglia+and+sophomore+Megan+Kordik+on+stage+during+the+24+Play+Festival+

Photo by Theresa Carriveau

Freshman Ryan Castiglia and sophomore Megan Kordik on stage during the 24 Play Festival

By Theresa Carriveau, Sports Editor/Photographer

Wego Drama’s third annual 24 Hour Play Festival took to the stage Saturday with only 24 hours to write, direct and rehearse the six one-act plays that were featured.

All of the cast members met together at 7 p.m. on Friday and the writer and director of each show picked a theme for their play.

“This year (the plays) were all based on songs,” senior director Joy Vogt said.

The writers stayed at the school and wrote the plays until 10 p.m. on Friday.

“The next morning, the actors get together with the director to start preparing the actual scene,” sophomore actor Garrett Martin said.

At around 1 p.m. the actors started to rehearse the show with lights and sound on stage.

“We run our scenes onstage a couple of times and by then, it is about time for the doors to open,” Martin said.

The 24 Hour Play Festival provided the cast and crew members a wide variety of avenues to express their creativity.

“There are so many different routes to go with the shows. You could have comedies, dramas, a mix or just something completely random,” Vogt said.

Watching everything come together is a favorite part for some members of the show.

“My favorite part (about) the show is getting to see how it turned out and where all that hard work got you,” junior writer Kenneth Correa said.

Others enjoyed the process of getting to delve into a character.

“My favorite part was spending almost an entire day getting to prepare a small scene,” said Martin. “I liked that it allowed me to really focus on what my character was doing and purpose for the scene”

Some just like the overall idea of the show.

“It is a really nice way to end the year because it is just tons of fun,” Vogt said.