State competitors earn 30th place in math competition

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Freshmen Austin Schwatel and Nathan Shawel won 10th place in the freshman-sophomore 2-person teams. The state competition was May 6.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Math Team competed in the IHSA state finals at the University of Illinois May 6 and earned 30th place out of 63 teams.

“It was fun, I got to show them around campus so they got to see what it was like. It was great weather that day,” Math Team adviser Charles Vokes said.

Freshmen Oscar Almonte, Maahum Hamayat, Annie Navadomskis, Kurt Leano, Nathan Shwatal, and Austin Shwatal placed 17th of 40 teams in the algebra I competition.

Sophomores Oscar Almonte, Annie Navadomskis, Kurt Leano, Nathan Shwatal, Austin Shwatal, Jose Hinojoza, Alyssa Guttman and Sarah Solver placed 17th out of 28 teams. Nathan Shwatal and Austin Shwatal received medals for 10th place of 26 freshman-sophomore 2-person teams.

“I was shocked (when I found out that Nathan and Austin won tenth place) because they thought that they did bad. I wasn’t expecting it but after I did I was super excited for them,” Vokes said.

Students competed in Foellinger Auditorium and they had to answer 20 questions, the first set of competitions were individual competitions and the second round were team based.

“It has been a long time since we have been to state and it is nice that the team gets to be recognized for all the hard work that they have done,” Vokes said.