Candy cane grams raise money for hunger

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Senior Ailyn Guerrero is santa and delivers a candy cane gram to junior Avalon Smith. The funds are helping to fight world hunger.

By Joy Vogt, Contributing Writer

WeGo Global is restarting one of their most successful fundraisers, candy cane grams.

The candy cane gram fundraiser began Dec. 8 and ends Friday.

“The fundraiser is lead by students. We try to encourage it at lunch hours and announcements so more people want to do it,” club member junior Laura Rosalez said.

This fundraiser is a tradition with WeGo Global.

“This is the third year we’ve been doing it. The kids came up with it the first year and it’s been successful and we’ve just rolled with it from there,” adviser Maggie Haas said.

The club does a number of fundraisers throughout the year. This is one that was easy for the club to decide on out of the other fundraisers.

“We chose this because everyone has watched ‘Mean Girls’ and everyone knows who Glen Coco is, and this is a way for people to live out their Glen Coco fantasies at their own school,”  Haas said.

This year the club will donate their funds to three different organizations: Heifer International, Feed My Starving Children and The Hunger Project, which is the focus for this fundraiser.

“It was reliability. What organization will our money most benefit. For Hunger Project it was 100 percent of whatever you raise goes to that issue,” Rosalez said.

The fundraiser has raised over $70 as of Tuesday, and sales continue daily.