Disney World opportunity stretches choir’s talents

Members+of+the+honors+a+capella+chamber+choir+group+pose+together+before+leaving+to+Florida.+

Photo by Theresa Carriveau

Members of the honors a capella chamber choir group pose together before leaving to Florida.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

For the first time, the honors a capella chamber choir group will perform in the Disney World Candlelight Processional on Friday.

The group wanted to take part in something that was unique and different to them.

“Generally, I have the groups travel every other year. We did travel last year, but this year, this particular group of students were just really excited about traveling again so we looked for an opportunity that was new, something that could stretch them. That’s why we picked this,” choral director Brandon Fantozzi said.

Although performing at the event means a lot of work, the group is excited to take part in it.

“I think it has stretched each one of us. Being in chamber choir, we do gigs around the community all month long and have to learn between 20-30 other carols to perform, so adding on 14 other songs to rehearse and practice has been quite a challenge, but a really great one to experience,” senior Emily Roldan said.

Aside from the performance, the group will also take part in workshops.

“We have a two and half hour musical theater workshop, which the students had to prepare a script. They’re going to work with a Disney cast member. They’re going to work with the students and help them perfect their craft, singing, dancing, and acting,” Fantozzi said.

The trip was created so that the students could grow as musicians and singers.

“A lot of the learning that we do here takes place in the walls of the high school, but whenever you can get out and work with other musicians that are experts at their craft, that’s going to help you grow exponentially in what you’re trying to accomplish as a musician and as an artist,” Fantozzi said. “The performance piece is pretty quick. When they show up, they only have a 30-minute rehearsal. That’s helping them grow, helping them think on their feet, helping to know what to do to be better prepared.”

Some students are looking forward to the bonding experience over everything else.

“Being in Disney World is so exciting in and of itself, but trips like these are such an adventure and the bonds between all of us who go on them become much stronger than ever. I think that it’s the people you’re with that really make the whole experience memorable,” sophomore Megan Kordik said.

The group will leave Wednesday and return on Sunday.