Swimmers aim for top 12 at state

Junior Ula Konopko prepares for the state meet on Friday by practicing.

Photo by Hector Cervantes

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

After winning 10th place in sectionals the Wego-Batavia swim team is competing for state on Friday.

Senior Natalie Nelson and junior Ula Konopko qualified for state. Both swimmers are three-time state qualifiers. From Batavia, freshman Kelly Sego and Annabelle Kinerk qualified.

“I did pretty well and I had a good time at sectionals. I’m hoping for a faster time at state,” Konopko said.

Nelson qualified for the 50 freestyle with a time of 24.17 seconds. For the 100 freestyle, Nelson had a time of 52.51 seconds and qualified for the 200 medley relay with Konopko, Sego, and Kinerk with a time of 1.48.45 seconds.

“Ula has been doing good with tapering for this season and each year she fills in a big role on our relay to make sure we will make it to state,” head coach Nick Parry said.

Sago qualified for the 200 individual medley with a time of 2.08.51 seconds and the 200 breaststroke with a time of 1.06.24.

“It is amazing how I qualified for state since it is my senior year. I worked hard throughout my season and I am glad that my work has paid off,” Nelson said.

Parry wants Nelson to score in the top 12 in one of her events.

“Our hope is that Natalie is able to come back and score some points for our team which means she has to be in the top 12 in one of her events. We hope Kelly as a freshman can get some good experience and sneak in some points,” Parry said.

At sectionals, the team showed support for the state qualifiers.

“The team is really good at supporting each other at a meet cheering for each other and trying to stay positive in each race depending on the result,” Parry said.