New runners bring a larger team together

Senior Krystal Montenegro runs at the Sycamore invitational on Aug. 30. The team is preparing for Peoria on Sept. 17

By Catherine Miller, Contributing Writer

With many new runners, the girls cross country team is focusing on learning during the beginning of their season.

The team has already competed in races at Sycamore, Crystal Lake, and Wauconda. Throughout all of these races, learning and improving have been their main priority.

“It’s early, but they’re learning how to run,” coach Bob Maxson said. “We have a lot of new girls. We have the second largest team in school history.”

Additionally, this team includes multiple freshmen.

“We have more freshmen than ever before, so they are new to this,” Maxson said.

There are many new cross country runners on the team, but the team also features some more experienced runners including junior team captain Maddie Brotnow.

Brotnow placed second at the 2.5 mile Sycamore race finishing with a time of 16:12. At the most recent meet, in Wauconda, she ran the 3.1 mile race in 19:55.

“I want to be someone for the girls to look up to as captain this year. Someone who they can count on to work hard everyday and show up to practice with a positive attitude,” Brotnow said.

Brotnow hopes that team members will support each other and work hard during the season.

Although we have only had a few meets, we have spent a lot of time together already during our trip to both Lorado Taft and Warren Dunes which has brought us all very close together,” Brotnow said.

Maxson also has goals for the team this season.  

“(My goals are) to teach them how to be distance runners and to teach them to love something that most of us have a love-hate relationship with,” Maxson said.

The girls will compete this Saturday in Peoria.